A Blog Devoted to Encouraging Homeschooling Mothers

A Blog Devoted to Encouraging Homeschooling Mothers
The Burts in 2013

Monday, December 30, 2013

Perfumed Letters by Robin T. Smith

The book Perfumed Letters (written by Robin T. Smith) came wrapped in a gift bag, with a hand-written note from the author. That was a pleasant surprise - not the way a book usually arrives in my mailbox! 

Perfumed Letters isn't a terribly long book, and is very easy to read. The author's writing style is genuine, as if she's talking to a close friend. Robin truly knows God's Word and is able to apply it to different life situations with seeming ease. Her analogy of a variety of perfumes is a good way to compare and contrast Godly attributes in a woman to those that are worldly in nature. 

Perfumed Letters, to me, is a book aimed at moving women toward maturity in Christ. Moving beyond simply being content with salvation (sometimes referred to as fire insurance). An example of the kind of things the author challenges her readers with include a question posed on page 18 that reads, "Do you still handle conflict and problems the same way you did as a seventeen-year-old girl?"  What a great question! And when answered honestly, the reader could be spurred to move toward a spiritually mature way of dealing with conflict. She also ends each chapter with a "Reflection", which is essentially a wrap-up paragraph aimed at getting the reader to apply God's Word to their life before moving ahead to the next chapter. I liked this addition to each chapter very much.

My blog's name is Encouraging Moms Who Homeschool and I aim to do exactly that. As a part of my commitment to post things that encourage homeschooling mothers, I feel I must share that this book has quite a bit of content that is not suitable for my blogging audience. I work hard to stick with my clear and intended purpose of encouraging women, and even though I do not like to be harsh when reviewing some one's work, I do have to be honest with my readers. There really is no way I would ever allow my daughters to read this book, and I could not ever see myself recommending it to a homeschooler. But that's not to say that many women would not be blessed by Perfumed Letters. It just isn't a good fit for me, my family, or my blog audience. There is a strong sexual "tone" to this book that is disconcerting to me - the wording is the type that goes against the Biblical principle I follow to not even allow a hint of in my home, or in my heart (see Ephesians 5:3-5).

Thank you for taking the time to read my review of this book, and please note that if you would like to read it, it is available at Amazon HERE.

On my "Page Turner Scale" of 1 to 5, I gave this book a 2.

I received a free copy of this book to review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations. I am part of The CWA Review Crew.

 Day 295 done :)

Jan L. Burt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment